California Heritage Council
Past Awards given by the California Heritage Council, 1964 to the present
1964: Allyne House, San Francisco

1968: V.C. Morris Building, San Francisco

1970: Firehouse Restaurant, Sacramento
  Maison Cadeau, Santa Cruz
  Tenth Avenue Firehouse, San Francisco
  Ott's Assay Office, Nevada City
  McLaughlin Home, Santa Cruz
  Delta King River Boat, Sacramento
  Congregational Church, Oroville
  Wharfside Building, San Francisco
  Governor Perkins Building, Oroville
  The Overland Limited Railroad Car
  Francis Solano Alviso Adobe, Pleasanton
  Hall of Records, Santa Cruz
  Old Blacksmith Shop
  Dr. Baker's Home, San Francisco
  Bayley House, El Dorado County
  Calvary Episcopal Church, Santa Cruz
  Junior League House, Sacramento
  Merced Court House, Merced
  Bidwell's Mansion, Chico
  South Yuba Canal, Nevada City
  Assay Office, Cherokee
  Boynton Home, Oroville
  Pardee Home, Oakland
  Lott's Home, Oroville
  Pioneer Store
  Kottinger Adobe Barn, Pleasanton
  Way Side Inn
  Centerville School House, Butte County
  Morse Building, Sacramento
  Governor's Mansion, Sacramento
  Antonio's Restaurant, Sacramento
  Pryor-Brann House, 3340 Folsom Street, San Francisco
  Cupertino de Oro Club

1983: Clift Hotel, San Francisco

1984: Ketch "Yankee", San Francisco
  Hearst Castle, San Simeon
  Audiffrid Building, San Francisco
  Chart House, San Diego
  Stanyan Park Hotel, San Francisco
  Hibernia Bank, San Francisco
  School House, Ward's Landing, Delta River
  Arthur Brown, Jr., Architect, San Francisco

1985: Fioli, Woodside
  Victorian (c. 1876), 1834 California St., San Francisco
  Dominican Convent, San Rafael
  Captain's House (c.1880), Angel Island
  Refugee Shacks (c. 1906), San Francisco
  Cooper Molera Adobe, Monterey
  Lackim Murals, University of California, San Francisco

1986: Main Banking Hall (Crocker Bank), San Francisco
  Sailing Ship "Balcultha", San Francisco
  Donohue Building, Tiburon
  The Majestic Hotel, San Francisco
  Lillie Langtry's House, Middleton
  Mission San Jose

1987: Gladys Cox Hanson, Historian, San Francisco
  John Diehlman House, Redwood City
  Edward Hardy's Home (c. 1881), San Francisco
  St. Josephs Church, San Mateo
  Michael Foley, Historian, Sacramento
  Piru Mansion, Piru

1988: Wagner's Beer Hall, San Francisco
  O'Shaughnessy Dam at Hetch Hetchy
  Wawona Hotel, Yosemite
  St. Boniface Church, San Francisco
  ailing Ship, "Star of India, San Diego
  Bank of San Francisco
  Ardenwood Farm, Fremont
  Polly Hatch Mosby, Historian, San Francisco

1989: Yacht "Marcy", Stockton
  Edward Turner Bale Grist Mill, St. Helena
  Jackson-Krelling House, San Francisco
  Chinese Gambling House, Locke
  United States Sixth Army, The Presidio

1990: JOSEPH TYNAN FAMILY for establishing the terrace and stairs on Lyon Street, between Broadway and Vallejo, San Francisco.
  Fireboat PHOENIX - and the heroic efforts by the crew to preserve the Marina District of S.F. the night of the October 17, 1989 earthquake.
  SAINT PATRICK'S CHURCH, Sonora, CA
  MAYNARD HOUSE, San Mateo, CA
  CALIFORNIA STATE MINING & MINERAL MUSEUM, Mariposa, CA - in recognition of the preservation of the Mineral Exhibit and Library formerly located at the Ferry Building in San Francisco.
  RALSTON HALL, College of Notre Dame, Belmont, CA
  THE ASSOCIATION FOR THE PRESERVATION OF THE PRESIDENTIAL YACHT POTOMAC

1991: WESTON HOME (c. 1906), Stockton, CA
  OAKLAND TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL - 1985 Student Historical Landmark Committee and the Student Historical Preservation Committee.
  Ferryboat EUREKA (c. 1890), S.F., CA
  Yacht MEDEA (c. 1904), San Diego
  GOVERNMENT OF CATALONIA, Spain for creating and donating the Statue of Don Gaspar de Portola which stands in Pacifica, CA.
  MISSION DOLORES (c. 1782), San Francisco
  PALACE OF FINE ARTS (c. 1915), San Francisco

1992: TUSITALA (c. 1850) (owners Sue & John Richie), Rutherford, CA
  Yacht AMAYA (c. 1926), Alameda, CA
  MACLAREN LOG LODGE (c. 1935), Homewood, Lake Tahoe
  PIONEER MONUMENT (c. 1894), San Francisco, CA
  SHERATON PALACE HOTEL (c. 1909), San Francisco, CA

1993: SAN FRANCISCO MEDICAL SOCIETY: in recognition of the preservation of the Queen Anne Victorian (circa 1881)- 1409 Sutter Street, San Francisco.
  THE ANTLERS INN, (circa 1925), Twin Peaks, CA
  MOUNTAIN VIEW CEMETERY ASSOCIATION, (circa 1863) Oakland, CA
  TAHOE YACHT CLUB, for preservation of classic wooden motor boats
  ISABEL APPLEGARTH, in recognition of her lifetime of outstanding achievement in community service and historic preservation.
  THE SOCIETY OF CALIFORNIA PIONEERS, (circa 1850), in recognition of their collection and preservation of California heritage.

1994: DR. ALBERT SHUMATE: Certificate of Recognition in appreciation of a lifetime of outstanding achievement in historic preservation
  EL CAPITAN THEATRE: Certificate of Recognition in appreciation of the restoration and preservation of Hollywood's Classic Movie Palace.
  DOROTHY AND THEODORE KITT: For the preservation of their Georgian Mansion, 2801 Broadway, San Francisco, built by Willis Polk in 1900.
  RICHARD REUTLINGER: For the restoration and preservation of his Victorian, circa 1886, Italianate style, 824 Grove Street, S.F.
  TRUCKEE HOTEL/KAREN AND JEFF WINTER: For the restoration and preservation of The Truckee Hotel, circa 1881
  NAUTICAL HERITAGE SOCIETY: For the preservation of Maritime History and the re-creation of the 1848-vintage Revenue Cutter CALIFORNIAN which is the Official Tallship Ambassador for the State of California.
  J. PORTER SHAW LIBRARY, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, in appreciation of the preservation of our Maritime Heritage.
  San Francisco Police Department for the restoration and preservation of San Francisco's Official 1931 LINCOLN PHAETON Automobile.

1995: SAN FRANCISCO CONSERVATORY OF FLOWERS (circa 1879), Golden Gate Park
MISSION INN (circa 1910), Riverside, CA
  OLEMA INN (circa 1876), Olema, CA
  CUSTOM HOUSE, Monterey, CA,with Special Appreciation to the efforts of Laura Bride Powers.
  NATIONAL LIGHTHOUSE SOCIETY for the preservation of Maritime History and the restoration of the Lightship RELIEF.
  PRESIDIO GOLF CLUB (circa 1898), San Francisco, CA

1996: KARL KORTUM, San Francisco, Certificate of Recognition for his lifetime achievement in the education and preservation of Maritime History.
  TALLAC HISTORIC SITE (circa 1880)/USDA Forest Service, South Lake Tahoe, Certificate of Recognition for the preservation and restoration of the Baldwin, Pope and Heller (Vahalla) estates.
  ATRICK MCGREW, Designer, Writer, Photographer and JACQUELINE YOUNG, Producer, of the book "The Historic Houses of Presidio Terrace.
  AN FRANCISCO MUNICIPAL RAILWAY, for the restoration, preservation and operation of THE "F LINE.
  ARKET STREET RAILWAY COMPANY, for the restoration and preservation of the "F Line.

1997: The Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation in recognition of the restoration and preservation of Casa de la Guerra (1820) Santa Barbara.
  The Vailima Foundation (named after Stevenson's home in Samoa) in recognition of their preservation and display of a major collection of the life and works of Robert Louis Stevenson at The Silverado Museum in St. Helena.
  City and County of San Francisco, Recreation and Park Department for the restoration and preservation of the Beach Chalet, Great Highway, S.F.
  Frank H. Bartholomew Foundation, in recognition of the restoration and preservation of the Haraszthy Villa, Bartholomew Park Winery, Museum and historic vineyards, Sonoma.
  Charles Pankow, in recognition of the restoration and preservation of Le Petit Trianon, 3800 Washington Street, San Francisco.
  Monsignor John J. O'Connor, in appreciation of his extraordinary efforts and energy in the restoration and preservation of Mission San Francisco de Asis, popularly known as Mission Dolores (1776), San Francisco's oldest and most significant landmark.

1998: RUTH ASAWA - Certificate of Recognition in appreciation of a lifetime of outstanding achievement in community service and historic preservation.
  DRAKE NAVIGATORS GUILD - Certificate of Recognition for their ongoing research and investigation of Sir Francis Drake and other early mariners and the preservation of our California Maritime history.
  BRIDGEPORT COURTHOUSE (circa 1881), Award of Merit to the County of Mono
  CLAUSEN HOUSE - Award of Merit for the restoration and preservation of two landmark buildings (circa 1910), located at 88 Vernon Street and 201 Perkins Street, Oakland.
  ST. HELENA SOUTHERN PACIFIC DEPOT - Award of Merit to Valley Architects for their restoration and preservation of the depot built about 1901.

1999: Henry Irving Prien Award for Community Service: Winchell Hayward
  Western Railway Museum, located at Rio Vista Junction on Highway 12, Solano County. Award of Merit.
  Hope Ranch House, Santa Barbara. Certificate of Recognition.
  War Memorial Opera House, San Francisco. Certificate of Recognition.
  Fort Ross State Historic Park, Coast Highway, 11 miles n.w. of Jenner.
  St. Vincent's School for Boys, San Rafael. Certificate of Recognition.
  Amargosa Opera House, Death Valley. Award of Recognition.
  Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts at Stanford University, formerly the Leland Stanford Junior Museum. Certificate of Recognition.

2000: San Francisco City Hall: Certificate of Recognition for the restoration project undertaken after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.
  Finger & Moy: Certificate of Appreciation to the Architectural firm performing, along with others, the interior retrofit and restoration of City Hall.
  Forell/Elsesser Engineers: Certificate of Appreciation to the Engineering firm performing, along with others, seismic retrofit in the restoration of City Hall.
  Stanford University Bing Wing of the Green Library: Certificate of Recognition for recent restoration.
  National Shrine to St. Francis of Assisi: Certificate of Recognition for its restoration and preservation.
  United States Custom House: Certificate of Recognition for its restoration and preservation.
  Petaluma Historical Museum and Library: Certificate of Recognition for its restoration and preservation.
  A. Warren Kopp: Award of Merit for the restoration and preservation of the Talbot Dutton House
  Ralph O. Butterfield, AIA: Award of Appreciation to the Architect and designer of the San Francisco Towers for exemplary new construction.

2001: GRACE CATHEDRAL: Certificate of Recognition for the preservation and restoration of the Cathedral.
  JACK LONDON COTTAGE: Certificate of Recognition to California State Parks for the restoration and preservation of the Cottage in Glen Ellen.
  SAN FRANCISCO THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY: Certificate of Recognition for the restoration and preservation of Montgomery and Scott Halls at the Seminary in San Anselmo.
  WINDRUSH SCHOOL: Certificate of Recognition for the restoration and preservation of the Chung Mai Home in El Cerrito.
  NATIVE DAUGHTERS OF THE GOLDEN WEST: Certificate of Recognition for the preservation of their headquarters at 555 Baker Street, San Francisco.
  JULIA MORGAN HOUSE AND GARDENS: Certificate of Recognition to California State University, Sacramento for the restoration and preservation of the House and Gardens.

2002: The Chiles House (circa 1856) restored home of pioneer Col. J.B. Chiles, headquarters of the Francis Ford Coppola Winery, Rutherford, CA
  Victorian Guesthouse (circa 1892), 138 Bolinas Ave, San Anselmo, CA, owned by the San Francisco Theological Seminary.
  Presidio of San Francisco Guardhouse (circa 1900)restored by the Presidio Trust; used as a U.S. Post Office and a bank.
  Hopland High School (circa 1923), Hopland, CA. Award of Merit for adaptive reuse of a structure.
  Grabhorn Institute, M&H Type, Arion Press, 1802 Hays Street, Presidio of San Francisco. Preservation of the last fully functioning type foundry and integrated letterpress printing facility. Typecasting machinery dates to the 1915 Panama-Pacific Expo.
  Preservation Park, Oakland, CA. A restored Victorian office neighborhood in the heart of downtown Oakland. Sixteen turn-of-the-century buildings have been renovated and facades restored.

2003: Colusa County Courthouse (circa 1861).
  Ray Adobe, 205 Spain Street, Sonoma.
  San Francisco Ferry Building (circa 1898) for its recent restoration.
  Ferryboat Berkeley (circa 1898), San Diego Maritime Museum.
  Berkeley Central Public Library (circa 1931), 2090 Kittredge, Berkeley.
  Hearst Memorial Mining Building (circa 1907), University of California, Berkeley.
  Palache Hall (circa 1927), St. Clement's Episcopal Church, 2837 Claremont Blvd., Berkeley.

2004: Sam & Diana Hunt, Award of Merit for the restoration of 714 Waller Street, San Francisco (circa 1885).
  Jefferson Street Mansion (circa 1861), 1063 Jefferson St., Benicia. Certificate of Recognition for extensive restoration and preservation by Reed Robbins.
  San Francisco Zoo Dentzel Carousel (circa 1921) and Steam Train (circa 1907) - Award of Recognition for restoration and preservation.
  Flood Building, 870 Market St., San Francisco. Certificate of Recognition for extensive restoration by James C. Flood.
  Afro-American Museum and Library (circa 1902), 659 14th St., Oakland.
  Kokoro Assisted Living Center (circa 1895), 1881 Bush St., San Francisco, originally a Jewish Synagogue.
  Napa Valley Opera House (circa 1879), 1030 Main St., Napa.
  Conservatory of Flowers (circa 1879), Golden Gate Park, San Francisco.

2005: Old Crocker Inn, 1126 Old Crocker Inn Road, Cloverdale, (circa 1904), restoration and preservation.
  2 Presidio Terrace, San Francisco (circa 1905), extensive restoration.
  Mark Hopkins Family Mansion, 41 Lowery Drive, Atherton, (circa 1904), extensive restoration.
  Chinese Historical Society of America, 965 Clay Street, San Francisco, former YWCA building designed by architect Julia Morgan in 1932, restoration and preservation.
  Inn at Occidental, 3657 Church Street, Occidental, (circa 1876), preservation.
  Jose Moya del Pino Library and Ross Historical Society, Marin Arts and Garden Center, 30 Sir Francis Drake Blvd., Ross, CA (circa 1864) restoration and preservation.

2006: Castro Theatre, San Francisco
  Leland Stanford Mansion, Sacramento
  Boyd Gate House, Marin History Museum, San Rafael
  Napa River Inn/The Still House at Greystone, Napa
  San Mateo County Court House and Museum, Redwood City
  Swedenborgian Church, San Francisco
 

Award of Achievement to Diane Hermann


2007:

Finnish Temperance Hall, Rocklin

  Black Witch (38' Gaff Rigged Sloop), Sausalito.
  Dana Adobe, Nipomo.
  Napa County Courthouse, Napa
  Green Gables, Woodside.
  Starr House, Benicia
  Tallman Hotel, Upper Lake

2008: Carson Mansion, Eureka
  Castello Di Amorosa, Calistoga
  Ellis-Martin House, Petaluma
  Grand Theatre Center for the Arts, Tracy 
  St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, San Francisco
  Stonehouse, Nevada City

2009: Cavallo Point. Fort Baker, Sausalito.
  Culinary Institute of America at Greystone. 2555 Main Street, St. Helena.
  La Petite Baleen Swim Club. Building 933 (circa 1921) The Presidio of San Francisco.
  North Star Historic Conservancy.
  Old Engine House No. 2 (circa 1908). 460 Bush Street, San Francisco.
  San Francisco Bay-Delta Model Sausalito.
  West Point Inn (circa 1904) + Gravity Car. Mt. Tamalpais, Mill Valley.
  Woodside Store. 3300 Tripp Road, Woodside.

2010: Berkeley Women's City Club, Berkeley.
  Carolands, Hillsborough.
  Charles Fracchia, Author and Historian.
  Logan Ives Residence, St. Helena.
  Nevada County Fairgrounds, Grass Valley.
  S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien.
  St. Andrew's Society Firehouse, San Francisco.

2011: Foldger Stables, Woodside.
  Loutzenheiser Pharmacy Bldg., dba Foothill Flowers, 102 W. Main Street, Grass Valley.
  McDonald Mansion, 1015 McDonald Avenue, Santa Rosa.
  Petaluma Trolley Living History Railway Museum, Northwestern Pacific Railroad Historical Society, and The DeCarli Family, 110 Baylis Street, Petaluma.
  Richmond Plunge, 1 E. Richmond Avenue, Richmond.
  Utica Powerhouse, 1391 Utica Powerhouse Road, Murphys.

 

Join
Announcements Calendar Links

CHC Spotlight chc mansion

Entire Contents © by the California Heritage Council, P.O. Box 475046, San Francisco, CA 94147
Telephone: (415) 699-0780             E-Mail: info@californiaheritagecouncil.org    
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Disclaimers


Home | Mission Statement | History | Board of Directors | By Laws
Recent Awards | Award Criteria | Past Awards
Member Benefits | Become a Member | Member's Calendar | CHC Newsletter | CHC Archives | CHC Contact Information
CHC Links and Resources | CHC Announcements | Site Credits