California Heritage Council
Recent Award by the California Heritage Council

CHC Announces the 2016 Awardees

MATTHEW TURNER, Educational Tall Ship, 2330 Marinship Way, Sausalito.  This Award was nominated by CHC President, Chris Layton.  The mission of Educational Tall Ship is to construct a historic and sustainable wooden tall ship for the San Francisco Bay Area.  The project will provide on the water and shore-based experiential education for students of all ages, both during construction and after completion.  Programs will focus on marine ecology, sustainability, teamwork, leadership and the vibrant maritime history of the Bay Area. The vessel will be the first wooden ship of this size built in the Bay area in nearly 100 years.  Inspired by the 19th century Brigantine Galilee, she will be 100 feet long on deck and have a 25 foot beam.  She will also be certified for open ocean sailing, making passage to any port in the world a possibility. Visit www.educationaltallship.org for more information.

BATTERY TOWNSLEY, Fort Cronkhite, GGNRA.  This Award was nominated by CHC member, Richard Torney, and will be accepted by John Martini, volunteer leader of the primarily volunteer effort to restore Battery Townsley.  It represents the zenith of U.S. military technology for coast defense purposes.  It is one of a pair of prototypes for nearly thirty more casemated (overhead-protected) gun batteries that protected key harbors during World War II, and is now the best restored of its type. Built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, between 1937 and 1940,  Battery Townsley has been restored by a group of skilled and dedicated volunteers, working under National Park Service direction.  It is open to the public on a regular basis for guided tours, and it has become one of the highlights of a visit to the scenic and historic Marin Headlands.

BUILDING 101, Infantry Row, Presidio of San Francisco.  This Award was nominated by CHC Executive Vice President, Barbara Wanvig.  Built in 1895-6 as permanent barracks for the U.S. Army infantry, it is situated in a row of 5, mostly identical, barracks constructed concurrently, and facing the Presidio’s Main Parade Ground.  The building was last used as the Military Police barracks, before the Army closed the Post in 1994.  A complete rehabilitation of this particular barracks building was an adaptive reuse to convert the 42,000 square foot building to a multiple tenant office use, with public uses on the first floor.  The Presidio Trust rehabilitated this building using capital funding from Trust income and will lease the space to generate future income. Most original partitions, stairs, plaster wall and ceiling finishes, hardwood floor finishes are all still extant, though concealed in some cases by 1970's alterations.  The building now is home to the California Society of Pioneers Museum and research facility, the Commissary Restaurant, and the business offices of Swirl, an advertising and communications company.

SOCIETY OF CALIFORNIA PIONEERS’ MUSEUM, Building 101, Infantry Row, Presidio of San Francisco.  This Award was nominated by CHC Executive Vice President, Barbara Wanvig.  As the oldest organization west of the Mississippi, the Society opened one of the first libraries in California, as well as a grand hall for meetings, lectures, and social events. Today, the Society operates a museum, educational programs, and The Alice Phelan Sullivan research library, all as a nonprofit organization.  The library contains over 10,000 books, manuscripts, maps, journals, newspapers and autobiographical materials related to the early history of California.  The Society maintains a rotating schedule of cross-disciplinary exhibitions focused on California art, history, and culture, and are open to the public. Guided tours and museum education programs are offered free of charge with advance reservations.

THE COMMONWEALTH CLUB, San Francisco.  This Award was nominated by CHC Vice President, William Applegate.  For 113 years, The Commonwealth Club has brought people face to face with some of the greatest leaders, thinkers, innovators and artists of our time.  Every year the Club holds hundreds of events throughout the Bay Area.  In late 2012, the Club purchased the 1910 building at 110 The Embarcadero, along San Francisco’s waterfront, with plans for its future, permanent home.  The Steuart Street facade will be maintained and restored to its original form, with a plaque dedicated to the historic events of “Bloody Thursday,” which took place in front of the building on Steuart Street in 1934.  Inside the building, a dedicated digital screen of curated content will describe the historic events of 1934, along with a full history of the site.  The Club is also working directly with the International Longshoremen and Warehouse Union and, in particular, their in-house librarian and archivist, Robin Walker, and labor historian, Harvey Schwartz.  As a historic organization, The Commonwealth Club is honored to tie its own history to the history of its new headquarters building and provide a distinct place to share this important history with the public for the first time.

SIERRA #3, Steam Locomotive, Railtown 1897 State Historic Park, Jamestown.  This Award was nominated by CHC Board member, Bill Palmer.  Appearing in over 100 Hollywood productions, the Sierra No. 3 is known as the "most photographed locomotive in Hollywood history." The 4-6-0 type locomotive was built in 1891 by Rogers Locomotive and Machine Works in Paterson, New Jersey for the Prescott and Arizona Central Railroad. Sierra No. 3 was one of the original three locomotive on the railroad, and later pulled passenger trains before the arrival of No. 32 in 1923. Retired in 1932, it was returned to operation for movie work in 1947-48. It has appeared in numerous movies, TV shows and commercials. The No. 3's film and television credits include, "High Noon," "The Virginian," "Back to the Future, III," "Unforgiven," "Bad Girls," "Petticoat Junction," "The Wild, Wild West," and "Little House on the Prairie."

CHC Announces the 2015 Awardees
 

And the winners are:

THE FAIRMONT HOTEL, San Francisco
 
INN AT THE PRESIDIO, Presidio of San Francisco
 
THE MARINES’ MEMORIAL CLUB, San Francisco
 
SAVE MOUNT DIABLO, Walnut Creek
 
USS POTOMAC, Oakland
 
PRESIDIO OFFICERS’ CLUB,

Presidio of San Francisco


CALIFORNIA HERITAGE COUNCIL 2014 AWARDS NOMINATIONS


JUDGE AUGUSTUS PALMER HOUSE, Built in 1874
 
MACHADO SCHOOL, Morgan Hill, Built 1895
 
MEYERS HOUSE, Alameda, Built in 1897
 
865 THE ALAMEDA, San Jose, Built in 1927
 
THE PINES, 33 Miller Lane, Sausalito, Built in 1888
 
OWL GRILL & SALOON, Built in 1857
 
VILLA AMOROSA, Calistoga,  Built in 1872
 
 
GOLD BEAR AWARD: To be presented to Gary Widman for outstanding public service in historic preservation of the Presidio National Historic Landmark District.






CALIFORNIA HERITAGE COUNCIL 2013 AWARDS

Antique & Classic Boat Society

 

Bruton House

Alameda

Classic Yacht Association

 

Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant

Richmond

Master Mariners Benevolent Association

 

Norwegian Seamen's Church

San Francisco

SS Red Oak Victory Ship

Richmond

Spaulding Wooden Boat Center

Sausalito


CALIFORNIA HERITAGE COUNCIL 2012 AWARDS

Edgehill Mansion, a.k.a. Dominican Heritage & Alumni House

San Rafael

Leland Stanford Mansion (Interior)

Sacramento

Luther Burbank Home & Garden

Santa Rosa

Murphy Windmill

San Francisco

St. John’s Episcopal Church

Lakeport

1934 Packard Custom Dietrich Convertible

Morgan Hill

Honorable Mention: Heather Wright, Architect, North Star House


2011 California Heritage Council Awards

Folger Stables

Woodside

Foothill Flowers

Grass Valley

McDonald Mansion

Santa Rosa

Petaluma Trolley Living History Railway Museum, Northwestern Pacific Railway Historical Society, and The DeCarli Family

Petaluma

Richmond Plunge

Richmond

Utica Powerhouse

Murphys

 

2010 California Heritage Council Awards

Berkeley Women’s City Club

Berkeley

Carolands

Hillsborough

Charles Fracchia

Author and Historian

Logan Ives Residence

St. Helena

Nevada County Fairgrounds

Grass Valley

S.S. Jeremiah O’Brien

San Francisco

St. Andrew’s Society Firehouse

San Francisco


2009 California Heritage Council Awards

Cavallo Point

Fort Baker, Sausalito.

A $100 million restoration has created a lodge with 142 guest rooms, many in the tastefully renovated Colonial Revival red-roofed Army barracks.

Culinary Institute of America at Greystone

2555 Main Street, St. Helena.

The stone castle was built in 1888 and was the former site of the Christian Brothers Winery for 50 years.

La Petite Baleen Swim Club

Building 933 (circa 1921)

The Presidio of San Francisco. Originally used by the Army as the Dope Shop and Boiler House and used for airplane maintenance. It is currently being used as a specialized swimming facility for small children.

North Star Historic Conservancy.

This non-profit organization was formed in 2007 to oversee the rehabilitation and operations of the North Star House (circa 1905), designed by Julia Morgan, and adjoining property. It will become a place where civic, educational and private groups can meet and conduct programs, musicals, theatre, etc.

Old Engine House No. 2 (circa 1908)

460 Bush Street, San Francisco.

It functioned as a firehouse until it was de-commissioned in 1970. Carey & Co., Inc., architects, purchased the firehouse in 1999 and embarked upon a major rehabilitation, reconstructing many of the building’s original features based on physical and documentary evidence.

San Francisco Bay-Delta Model

Sausalito.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers built the scale model to study water flow, navigation and environmental impact, complete with buildings, bridges, wharves, etc.

West Point Inn (circa 1904) + Gravity Car

Mt. Tamalpais, Mill Valley.

The Inn is the sole surviving structures of a once famous and vibrant scenic railway where steam trains met a stagecoach for the beach. Today it operates more like a hostel than an Inn. The Gravity Car carried passengers down the mountain, a bit like a mountain roller-coaster, to Mill Valley.

Woodside Store

3300 Tripp Road, Woodside.

Built in 1854 among sawmills and redwood groves by Dr. R.O. Tripp and M.A. Parkhurst, it was operated by Dr. Tripp in person, who also served as dentist, librarian, postmaster, and community leader until his death in 1909. It was purchased by the County of San Mateo in 1940 and opened as a public museum in 1947.


2008 California Heritage Council Awards

Carson Mansion

143 M Street, Eureka

Built in 1884-85 as a private home for William Carson, a lumber baron. Since 1951 it has been the home of, and restored by, The Ingomar Club, a private social club.

Castello Di Amorosa

4045 North Saint Helena Hwy, Calistoga

It took 14 years for vintner Darryl Sattui to build his 107-room, 121,000 square-foot medieval Tuscan castle that opened in 2007. Among other things, it has a dry moat drawbridge, iron-gated entrance, five towers with battlements, a church, a great hall, frescoes, a dungeon, gargoyles and wrought-iron sconces. 

The project has employed workers from six countries and materials from eight and could not have been accomplished without the help of European craftsmen that taught local craftsmen their old-world trades.  Among other things, 200-year-old bricks, made for the Hapsburg dynasty in Europe were brought over, as well as 2,000 custom-made Italian nails that anchor the oak doors of the immense “great hall.”

This award is being presented to Darryl Sattui for educating local craftsmen in the techniques used in medieval times.

Ellis-Martin House

1197 East Washington Street, Petaluma

Built in 1910 as a residence for John D. Ellis, it has undergone extensive restoration in 2006-7 and is now owned by an architectural design and restoration firm.

Grand Theatre Center for the Arts

715 Central Avenue, Tracy 

The theatre opened in August, 1923 as an 800-seat theater, and was Tracy’s main meeting place through the 1970's.  It was closed in 1977.  It was eventually purchased by the City of Tracy.  After a $18 million dollar restoration, it reopened in September, 2007 as a cultural arts center.  Along with performances and events, there are classes offered in Drama, Ceramics, Visual Arts, Dance and Music.

St. Mark’s Lutheran Church

1111 O’Farrell Street, San Francisco

The church building was dedicated in 1895 and is still used today.  An $11 million dollar restoration was completed in 2006.

Stonehouse

107 Sacramento Street, Nevada City

Built in 1882, originally as a Brewery with a storage cave for casks of ale.  Until the 60's, the cave was also an entrance to a network of tunnels that ran beneath Nevada City.  When the freeway was built, the tunnels were filled..  It was the building and the history that spurred the current owners to create the Stonehouse Restaurant.  It opened in 2004 after an extensive 6-month renovation.  The magnificent backbar, built in Chicago in 1884, was installed.  An open kitchen, new dining room, and antique fixtures were added.


2007 California Heritage Council Awards

 

Finnish Temperance Hall

4090 Rocklin Road, Rocklin.

Built by the United Finnish Brothers and Sisters Lodge #5 in 1889, it was replaced in 1905 as present day  “Finn Hall.”  It was originally a meeting hall for the Finnish community, most of whom worked in Rocklin’s granite quarries which supplied much of the granite used in San Francisco buildings and many other California buildings. It was bought by the City of Rocklin in 1965 and is used today for many of Rocklin’s social functions. School graduations and Christmas programs, receptions, dances and fraternal meetings are held here. It was restored in 1989, and granted California landmark status in 1991. This award was nominated by Dr. Susan Walima, Finlandia Foundation Liaison to California Foothills, and accepted by the Vice-Mayor of Rocklin, Brett Storey.

Black Witch

38' Gaff Rigged Sloop, Sausalito.

Ralph Winslow designed this yacht in 1931. It was built in 1949 at the Wilmington Boat Works in Newport Beach, CA. Rick Hastie bought Black Witch in 2003 and did a complete restoration at the Arques Ship Yard in Sausalito. She is made of oak, Port Orford Cedar and teak. Black Witch will be shown in the Corinthian Yacht Club Wooden Boat Show June 23-24, 2007. This award was nominated by John Hodges and accepted by its owner, Rick Hastie.

Dana Adobe

671 South Oakglen, Nipomo.

The Dana Adobe was constructed between 1839 and 1851 and is the most historically significant residence in San Luis Obispo County. It is State Historic Landmark No. 1033 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Its architect and builder, Captain William G. Dana of Boston, through his associations with other men and women of his era, influenced the history of California both before and after statehood. Rancho Nipomo was famous for its hospitality and as the central exchange point for the first U.S. mail route on the west coast. Its ongoing restoration is being done inside and out. Adobe bricks have been handmade and installed where necessary. Rooms are decorated appropriately for the 1850's. The Rancho Nipomo Historical Park is open to the public and visitors can wander from one to another of the small workshops near the old adobe, all rebuilt where they once stood. Visitors can watch craftspeople weaving textiles, creating furniture, producing soap, candles and saddles. There are farm animals for children to see. It is an educational, non-profit organization and has been designated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as an official project of Save America’s Treasures. This award was nominated by Allie Huberty and  accepted by Kathy Kubiak, Executive Director, Dana Adobe Nipomo Amigos.

Napa County Courthouse

825 Brown Street, Napa

The Courthouse was built in 1878-79 in the Italianate, Renaissance architectural style. The architect was William H. Corlett. It remains a functioning courthouse and has recently undergone an extensive restoration. This award was nominated by John Ritchie and accepted by Kristie Sheppard, Executive Director, Napa County Historical Society.

Green Gables

Woodside

This 75 acre estate is one of America’s most historically significant garden and architectural landscapes. It is protected and preserved in perpetuity under a conservation easement. This gift was donated by Delia Ehrlich Fleishhacker, David Fleishhacker and Mortimer Fleishhacker to the Garden Conservancy in 2004. It secures its preservation by permanently restricting current or future owners from subdividing or further developing the property. It ensures that Green Gables will remain intact, no additional homes will be constructed on the property, and that the historic gardens, buildings, and landscape will be preserved and maintained as a living example of an Arts and Crafts masterwork by the great California architect, Charles Sumner Greene. Of note is that one house on the property was designed by William Wurster, one of CHC’s incorporating directors. Green Gables is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This award was nominated by Gary Widman and accepted by Mortimer Fleishhacker.

Starr House

405 East H Street, Benicia.

This 1850's house is a unique example of a Carpenter Gothic kit house shipped around the Horn from New England during the Gold Rush. One of only two Gothic homes in Benicia, it is a near-exact replica of the Carpenter Gothic “Cottage VII” in Andrew Jackson Downing’s Architecture of Country Houses, the definitive style book of the Carpenter Gothic movement, originally published in 1850. There are many legends attached to this house, but they are difficult to verify. Folklore states that this house was the residence of Peter Burnette, first Governor of California. It is also believed to have been Governor Bigler’s residence while in Benicia for his inauguration at the State Capitol on West G Street. Documents bearing the great seal of the state were found inside the walls of the building, evidently being used as insulation. The current owners have spent the last 6 years meticulously restoring the home to its original state. This award was nominated by Reed Robbins and accepted by James and Douglas Robertson.

Tallman Hotel

9550 Main Street, Upper Lake.

The original Tallman House Hotel was built on the current site in the 1870's by Lake County pioneers Rufus and Mary Tallman. The hotel was part of a full-service facility consisting of hotel, livery stable and saloon designed to serve passengers traveling to Clear Lake and the nearby hot springs resorts. In 1895 it burned to the ground and the next year Tallman reconstructed the 17 room hotel.. The Blue Wing Saloon was closed and torn down during Prohibition in the early 1920's. Lynne and Bernie Butcher bought the Hotel in 2003 and were determined to authentically restore the building to its former glory. Using period photographs as a guide, they also rebuilt the Blue Wing Saloon and Café next door. Great care was taken to retain, recondition and reuse original materials and to maintain the essential soul of the old hotel building. Not only is the hotel a successful example of restoration, the project has also acted as a catalyst in the economic revitalization of the historic town of Upper Lake. This award was nominated by Christopher Layton and accepted by Lynne and Bernie Butcher.


2006 California Heritage Council Awards

 

Bok Kai Temple

First & D Streets, Marysville

Castro Theatre

429 Castro Street, San Francisco

Leland Stanford Mansion

800 N Street, Sacramento

Boyd Gate House

Marin History Museum, 1125 B Street, San Rafael

Napa River Inn/The Still House at Greystone

500 Main Street,Napa

San Mateo County Court House and Museum

777 Hamilton St., Redwood City

Swedenborgian Church

2107 Lyon Street, San Francisco

Award of Achievement to Diane Hermann

San Francisco

Award of Achievement to Adolph S. Rosekrans, AIA

San Francisco


2005 California Heritage Council Awards

 

Old Crocker Inn

1126 Old Crocker Inn Road, Cloverdale

(circa 1904), restoration and preservation.

 

2 Presidio Terrace

San Francisco

(circa 1905), extensive restoration.

 

Mark Hopkins Family Mansion

41 Lowery Drive, Atherton

(circa 1904), extensive restoration.

 

Chinese Historical Society of America

965 Clay Street, San Francisco

former YWCA building designed by architect Julia Morgan in 1932, restoration and preservation.

 

Inn at Occidental

3657 Church Street, Occidental

(circa 1876), preservation.

 

Jose Moya del Pino Library and Ross Historical Society, Marin Arts and Garden Center

30 Sir Francis Drake Blvd., Ross, CA

(circa 1864) restoration and preservation.

Join
Announcements Calendar Links

CHC Spotlight chc mansion

Entire Contents © by the California Heritage Council, P.O. Box 475046, San Francisco, CA 94147
Telephone: (415) 699-0780             E-Mail: info@californiaheritagecouncil.org    
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Disclaimers


Home | Mission Statement | History | Board of Directors | By Laws
Recent Awards | Award Criteria | Past Awards
Member Benefits | Become a Member | Member's Calendar | CHC Newsletter | CHC Archives | CHC Contact Information
CHC Links and Resources | CHC Announcements | Site Credits